Wednesday 4 March 2009

I'm board


If I look out my window I can see the set workshop of the Young Vic Theatre. They're always making clever things, not just to go on stage but also for the bar and restaurant. Theatre people are often really imaginative and efficient (they have to be - think about all those ten-second scene changes) and I think it shows in the design details in the Young Vic. In the bar, the stools are actually very sturdy boxes. The last time I was there I noticed each one was numbered. Then a barista opened one up to reveal stacks of paper cups; I peeked in another and discovered it was where the tealights are stored. These are some some highly achieving, multi-tasking, triple-duty bits of cardboard. What if every disposable container were designed to serve so many purposes within its lifetime?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.